What to do to help

Content supplied by Teentools



If you suspect a family member, friend or workmate is being abused by their boyfriend or partner:

  • It is essential that everything possible is done to keep women and children safe before, during and after separation.
  • Women who are in immediate danger should always Call 111 for the Police - or ask neighbours or friends to ring.
  • Use these contacts to gain help.


Don't ignore it:

  • Break the silence and you'll also break the isolation and shame that victims often feel
  • Educate yourself
  • Be supportive - don’t blame the victim
  • Take violence seriously
  • Encourage them to seek advice and assistance from a local help agency
  • If at anytime, you believe there is a threat to their safety, call the Police.


Remember: most murders and serious assaults happen:

  • At the time of separation or after
  • When the abuser has less control – when the woman files for a protection order, gets a new partner, or in Sophie Elliott’s case, a new job
  • When events occur that mean the abuse will be exposed (e.g. when Police get involved).
  • Leaving does not end the violence – it often gets worse after separation.